Thursday, December 24, 2009

Phillips brings cinema to TV.

I have experience true cinema into my living room because of Phillip's 21:9 television. Obviously, the TV gets its name from 21:9 aspect ratio which matches the proportions of many films. It is really good because I can watch the film or my favorite movies without any distracting black bars at the top and bottom of the picture.

Unfortunately, some of the DVDs and TV programmes which I often watch have a narrower image (typically 4:3, 16:9 or 1.85.1) which means that my Cinema 21:9 will either have to display black bars on the side of the picture of stretch the image to fill the screen, causing some distortion.

On the other hand, the horizontal bars at the top and bottom of the film are stored on DVD and Blu-ray disc as part of the picture. To get rid of them, the TV has to upscale the middle of the picture to full the screen's native resolution of 2,560x1,080, resulting in some loss of picture quality.

But these aren't really problems for me. My Cinema 21:9 is tailored to movies and that the aspect ratio is what sets the TV apart from most wide screen TVs, which are tailored for broadcast TV.

Anyway, those are not a big deal for me. What is essential is that I was entertained with what I've watched.

No comments:

Post a Comment